What IS Shared Hosting?
When many websites use a single server, it’s called Shared Hosting. Multiple websites share the server, like bandwidth, storage, databases, and email accounts. You also share the computer processor(s), memory, disk storage, and part of the ongoing maintenance costs of the server. There is no definite number of websites that a single server may host. The number could be in the tens, hundreds, or thousands. You benefit from affordable pricing when resources are shared.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- Shared hosting plans save you money compared to other types of hosting, with prices typically offered in the $10-$25/month range.
- The administration and maintenance is taken care of by the hosting provider. You don’t need to handle the technical management of the server.
- You don’t need to possess any special knowledge as the hosting provider takes care of that.
- You’ll be provided with a control panel like cPanel or other user-friendly application that makes management easy.
- You get multiple email accounts and databases on your domain.
- You often get alternative options for essentials like databases, programming languages and other options.
- Most shared hosting plans provide assistance in multiple forms for supervision, maintenance and technical support. You get uptime reliability comparable to high-end hosting plans.
Shared hosting includes technical support. It makes your work easier and returns valuable hours to you. Quality hosting services provide relatively extensive technical support.
Scalability gives you the ability to start small and grow at a low cost. New and small sites initially get less traffic. It can handle up to 100,000 visitors a month, which translates to roughly over 3,000 visitors daily.
You can have multiple domains under one user directory in a shared hosting plan.
Dynamic websites change based on the way a user is browsing. Quora, Facebook, and Twitter are examples of dynamic websites. You can easily host a dynamic website within your shared hosting plan.
The maintenance cost associated with shared hosting is low.
You’ll not need to hire a designer if you’re willing to roll up your sleeves a little. You can learn the basics quickly to create some pages using sophisticated Content Management Systems (CMS). The biggest problem will be the content, and for that, you’ll need some writing skills. An alternative is to get the basic content on the page, and then have a writer edit and refine your work.
You don’t need to become a technical wizard to get started. Many guides and tutorials are freely available to help you understand what you need to do.
Potential Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
The biggest challenge of shared hosting are possible security issues the server faces:
- Hacking attacks often target shared servers.
- Any malicious activity the server suffers can affect all websites using the server.
- A high volume of requests for resources by other sites on the server may induce sluggishness for all users.
- A server’s performance will be limited when swamped by requests and overloaded.
- Due to security policies, some ports and connections may be restricted.
Great vs So-So Shared Hosting
Most potential problems associated with shared hosting can be minimized or mitigated.
- High-End Servers — Our servers use AMD Epyc processors to provide superior performance.
- “Light Load” vs Overloaded Server — Hosting providers who “light load” their servers are providing high performance at low cost.
- cPanel vs Generic Control Panels — cPanel is the world’s #1 hosting control panel. It’s solid and reliable.
- Uptime Guarantee — Usually 97%-99%. Our servers deliver a 99.99% uptime.
- Limits to Included Services — Our only limits are the available disk storage and total bandwidth available.
Extras of Some Hosts
- No-Limits on Included Services — Archer Data Hosting has a “No Limits” policy. Every plan has the same services as any other plan.
- Managed Services — Need something done? Open a helpdesk ticket and we get to work and do it for you!
- Application Installer — Softaculous provides hundreds of applications available for free installation.
- Immunify — Malware scanner to ensure your code is not infected.
- modSecurity Web Application Firewall — Automatically installed on your account, it shields your site from external threats.
- Cloudflare — Content Delivery Network (CDN) for the fastest performance for your website.
- Free SSL Included — Unless you need a specialized type of SSL certificate, all sites are created with SSL.
- Automatic Off-Server Backups — 30 days of off-server storage is included with all accounts.